Tier 1 Investor £2 Million
You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if:
- you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK.
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
- you meet the other eligibility requirements.
You must have at least £2,000,000 investment funds to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
- be 18 or over to apply for this visa
- be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
- have opened a UK bank account
Your funds must be:
- held in one or more regulated financial institutions
- free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK
Your money can be in the UK or overseas when you apply.
Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel identification
- your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
- a criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years
You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
Evidence of investment funds
You’ll need to provide evidence showing that you have the required investment funds.
Your own money
If you’re using your own money to invest, you should be able to show:
- how much money you have and where it’s being held
- where the money came from if you haven’t had the money for at least 3 months, eg you inherited it from a relative
- that the money can be transferred to the UK and converted to sterling (if it’s not already in the UK)
Your partner’s money
You’ll need to provide:
- a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or in the case of unmarried or same-sex relationships, proof that you are in a long-term relationship (at least 2 years)
- a statement from your partner confirming that they will allow you to control the funds in the UK
- a letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid
You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.
Read the guide for a full list of documents you can provide.
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.
What you can and can’t do
- invest £2,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
- work or study
- apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
- work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- get public funds
You also can’t work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
- you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license or is a UK recognised or listed body
- you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
- neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa