Marriage Visa

Partner or spouse of British Citizen or person settled in the UK are permitted to enter the United Kingdom once prior approval from a British overseas diplomatic post has been issued.

Applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland must be able to demonstrate that they have meet the eligibility requirements. They must also demonstrate that adequate financial support and accommodation will be available to them upon arrival.


Your partner or spouse must have one of the following:

  • British citizenship
  • settlement in the UK

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship.

You must be one of the following:

  • married or civil partners
  • living together in a relationship for 2 years
  • engaged to be married or to become civil partners

You must prove that any previous relationships you or your partner had are permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

You won’t need to prove you have this money if you or your partner get certain disability benefits or Carer’s Allowance, but you’ll need to adequately accommodate and support yourselves and any dependants.

knowledge of the English language

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

You can prove your knowledge of English by passing a test at an approved test centre. You need to get at least CEFR level A1.

Check the current list of approved tests and test centres. This list changed on 6 April 2015 – tests on previous lists won’t be accepted.

Alternatively, you can give evidence that you have an academic qualification that both:

  • was taught or researched in English
  • is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD

Documents you need to provide

You’ll need to provide:

  • your current passport or other valid travel ID
  • previous passports
  • proof of your relationship to the person you’re joining
  • proof you can meet the financial requirement or maintenance requirement
  • proof of your knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over – unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test